This week’s Smart Marketing Move goes to TWO companies.
Disney Cruises & Maytag for their sponsorship of “Who wants to be a Millionaire?”
Each company, I’m sure for a hefty fee, sponsored this popular game show on separate occasions. It’s highly watched, it’s on in luncheonettes around the US, and because it is a quiz show, as an advertiser you are going to hit a diverse audience.
Just like if you were going to win money on a normal Millionaire show, you had to answer one of the questions right to win a Disney Cruise or a Maytag washer and dryer. This got the audience excited and encouraged more interaction.
This was a smart move for both companies because:
- It created brand awareness. You know Disney, but maybe you forgot about their cruises.
- As part of the audience, you were rooting for the contestant more for the “extra” prize and a bigger pay-out than normal.
- The contestant that won is going to be an advocate and spread you name brand around via Word of Mouth Marketing.
- Gives face-time needed to solidify your company into the short-list.
- Positions your company as a market leader.
Lesson Learned: Ok, so you’re not Disney or Maytag and you don’t have their budget. It doesn’t matter, think about the possibilities you have in your “back yard.” Here in Philadelphia, we have many community events that we can sponsor from an annual art walk to college basketball games, or even a half time shoot out at a youth game – parents are bound to be there! Don’t just think about social media….think out think your competition, don’t outspend them!