By Leslie R. Wolff, A Marketing & Creative Tactician
Customers like to know that they are important to you, so create awareness of your interest in their welfare.
It costs 5 times as much to get a new customer as it does to keep the ones you have and a significant multiple of that cost to regain one you lost. It’s a mistake thinking once you landed a client that they will automatically stay with you. It takes as much hard work to keep a customer as it does to acquire one. Customer retention enables you to build a solid
foundation of repeat business, revenue growth and business longevity.
6 Easy steps to have a positive customer retention environment
- Customer Service – The key aspect of retaining customers is how they feel they are being treated so examine closely what you do and how well you do it.
- Ask Questions – Provide your customers a way to communicate to you so you will be more effective in serving their needs. A twice a year survey or a “suggestion box” in your store says “we care about what your are thinking.” Offer a gift like to encourage participation, be it a pen to the first 100 for filling out the form whether by mail or via your website or \ a monthly drawing among participants.
- Pay attention to the little things. -The three most important things in building a strong customer relationship are to ask questions, listen closely and be very observant when in their company. Whether you are in the business-to business arena or selling at retail. Doing this to builds relationships.
- Thanking them for their business – When was the last time you ever received something from someone you’ve done business with, outside of Christmas time? Rarely… And you’re not alone. We love our customers; they are the reason for our existence, and they like knowing you appreciate their business. Do it 3-6 times a year. It will surprise and please them and sends a strong message of your positive feeling towards them.
- Be proactive not reactive – You want to constantly show your interest in customers by trying to anticipate their needs and enhance the “user friendliness” of doing business with you. Look for ways you can aid them in making a purchasing decision easier.
- Be “out there” -Reaching out to customers on a consistent basis is a necessity for any business. If you are “out-of-sight” you may be “out-of-mind” when they are making a purchasing decision. People like doing shopping at the business that is always in the spotlight. In their mind that “public interest” further reinforces their decision to keep doing business with you.
Smart quote of the week – “The sale merely consummates the courtship. Then the marriage begins. How good the marriage is depends on how well the relationship is managed by the seller.’ – Theodore Levitt
Les Wolff’s mission is to reestablish a lost factor in business … common sense! It is the foundation
on which Smart Thinking is built. Les is CEO of The Smart Marketing Group, a proactive marketing
Visionary & Strategy Think Tank. He is an active writer (www.smartmarketingmoves.com) and
lecturer on all aspects of the sales and marketing spectrum (www.lesliewolff.com). He can be
reached at 215-334-3432 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org, Skype: Smart Marketing or at
His E-Book ” Smart Thinking- Vol. I” is available @ http://